Ann Arbor, MI
The design team’s challenge for the WCC OEB renovation was to utilize the latest and most efficient and complementary architectural, mechanical and electrical technologies to create a high performing building that would also meet the client’s budget. This required a highly collaborative design approach from the mechanical, electrical and architectural design team members.
The existing Washtenaw Community College (WCC) Occupational Education Building (OEB) was built in 1980 and is a two story building with an area of 111,903 gross square feet and 109,095 net square feet, located on the campus of Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The building houses: classrooms, offices, student lounge space and laboratories for technical training. Approximately 48% of the building area is heated and cooled, while the remaining 52% is heated only.
Some of the key technologies that the MEP engineers incorporated in the OEB design were: a green vegetation roof; an evacuated tube solar hot water heating system; photovoltaic electrical solar panels; a rain water collection system; daylighting controls; replacement of old T-12 fluorescent lighting fixtures with more efficient T-8 fluorescent lighting fixtures; the replacement of old incandescent lighting with LED lighting; water saving plumbing fixtures; and three interactive kiosks displaying building operation & green technologies. In addition, the building’s primary 31-year old HVAC system was replaced with the state-of-the-art ground source geo-exchange heating and cooling system, which utilized six pipe water-to-water central heat pumps.
The WCC OEB geo-exchange central water-to-water system provides heating and cooling for the entire building without producing carbon emissions. A total of 74,470 pounds of CO2 of fossil fuel emissions were eliminated annually from the campus as a result of the building renovations. WCC utilizes the geo-exchange central water-to-water heat pump system as a teaching tool for its students and through interactive monitors; they display the technology of the system and reinforce the College’s commitment to the environment.
This project took first place chapter and regional awards in the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) Technology Awards program.
The renovation of Lawson included the addition of a new ice sheet and a 1,200 square foot mechanical room that would house the new ammonia-based ice plant equipment.Learn More →
Onsted Community School District approved the sale of qualified school bonds totaling $16.2 Million to fund renovations and modernization of the District’s Elementary School and Middle School.Learn More →
Butterfield Hall was the final housing facility in the Brody Neighborhood to undergo renovations. As part of the renovation project, Peter Basso Associates (PBA) was tasked with improving existing building systems and componentsLearn More →
The Saint Clair County Community College (SC4) North Building was built in 1920 and is two stories with an area of 58,885 gross square footage and 52,574 net square footage.Learn More →
Like what you’re reading? Check out our MEP engineering team openings.